Recognizing Value With Our Jewelry Assessment
Whether you go to a jewelry store or a pawn shop, you can easily receive a jewelry assessment to evaluate its monetary value. And, here at Oro Express Mesa Pawn & Gold, our pawnbrokers are well equipped and skilled to complete an accurate jewelry assessment for you.
Our assessments are free of charge, and are never under any obligation to accept our cash offer to pawn or sell your jewelry to our store.
Jewelry Assessment of the Precious Metals
- The Magnet Test. This method uses a magnet to test the metal’s purity. The magnet will not stick to pure gold, but will stick to gold that is mixed with other metals.
- Visual inspection. This method is the simplest one and it involves carefully inspecting the jewelry for any signs of wear and tear, hidden hallmark or stamp , or other identifying marks. This can give an indication of the metal’s quality and authenticity.
- Acid testing. This is a simple and inexpensive method that can be used to test gold, silver, and platinum. A small drop of acid is applied to the metal flakes, we’ve retrieved with a touchstone for samples to test, and the reaction is observed. The acid will react differently depending on the type of metal and its purity.
- Weigh the jewelry. Once the purity is determined, the weight of the precious metal used is a major factor to determine your jewelry’s value.
- Verify the Spot Price. Considering that precious metals that are traded daily on the stock market, the price fluctuates until the market closes. Therefore, it is essential that the market price is checked, to calculate an accurate evaluation.
Evaluating Diamonds for Jewelry Assessment
Diamonds are valued on their own accord, separate from the precious metal, in a jewelry assessment. After its evaluation is completed, then both valuations are added together, before its monetary worth is presented to you. Many luxury brands of diamonds will come with a certificate of authentication, and/or a certificate with the grade of the 4 C’s of Diamonds by a gemologist, when they are purchased. So, consequently, do make sure that you have this with you for the assessment, if you have it available. Diamonds are graded on the following:
- Cut – This is not the shape of the diamond, like most people think. This is how light reflects and shimmers its brilliance from the cut from the facets of the diamond.
- Color – The color or lack of color has 22 varying hues that can be seen with a keen eye in a diamond.
- Clarity – This refers to flaws on (blemishes) or in (inclusions) the diamond.
- Carat – Otherwise known as the size, or the weight of the precious stone.
The More Informed You Are Can Help Increase Your Cash Offer
Prior to bringing your jewelry down to Oro Express Mesa Pawn and Gold, do some research yourself, to be well informed. Which means, locating the hidden hallmark, and look up the markings on the internet. Because if its an heirloom or antique jewelry, you will want to know if it is a rare piece, and from what era, to have a good sense of its value.
When you bring the jewelry to our pawn shop, be prepared to answer questions about its history, condition, and value. The pawn shop will then complete a jewelry assessment and give you an offer based on its value. Most importantly, remember that the offer from a pawn shop is negotiable, if you feel that the offer is lower than you expected.
Oro Express Mesa Pawn & Gold is more than just a pawn shop! We are also are a jewelry store, offer cleaning services, as well as jewelry assessments, free of charge!